JUST ONE: Buying One American Made Holiday Gift = up to 200,000 Jobs
The Campaign to Shift Holiday Purchasing
Buying JUST ONE American made product this holiday season could translate to 200,000 U.S. jobs, according to Alliance for American Manufacturing.
According to the National Retail Federation, the average American will spend $700 this holiday season, totaling more than $465 billion. “If each of us spent just $64 on American made goods during our holiday shopping, the result would be up to 200,000 new U.S. jobs,” says Steinwinder, cofounder of CreateSC. “Everyone can make a difference with just this simple act of choosing one gift from companies that manufacturer here at home. It’s good for the environment (lowers carbon footprint), good for the economy (supports local companies), and it’s good for humanity (supports humane working conditions), and it’s easy to do.”
The JUST ONE campaign offers the Top 7 Steps to buying American that everyone can do:
- The web is your friend. Curated lists of wonderful products have done the work for you. Specialty sites, such as USA Love List, make searching enjoyable and easy. They are dedicated to helping you find products you will love by category, by holiday, even by state.
- Retailers you love may already offer at least some American made products. Look at Pendleton Woolen Mill, REI, Club Monaco, J. Crew and Nordstrom, offer “made in America” products or sections online as well. Give your favorites a try first. They may surprise you.
- Big box stores are getting onboard as well, so don’t rule them out. Check online for “made in USA” products or ask the sales person in the store.
- Big brands and big ticket items even offer American-made options. Look at New Balance, American Apparel, The Container Store, event Whirlpool and KitchenAid have great options.
- Stay local by shopping your independent, small retailers for gifts. They need your support as well and often provide a platform for locally made art and gifts.
- Take time to read labels. American made can be tricky as some products made overseas are labeled “assembled in America” but may be 90% made overseas. Don’t get discouraged. Credible sites like USA Love List do that research for you.
- Tell your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram so they can encourage others to buy JUST ONE! Use #justone
“No one wants you to buy something that you don’t love,” says Engstrom. “We simply want to raise the level of awareness so that when given the choice, more people will choose an American made product.”
Visit the JUST ONE Facebook page to share your just one holiday find or on Twitter at #justone.